January 27, 2010

Album review: Adelitas Way: Self-Titled(2009)

This band was a pleasant surprise at the last show, so I bought the album. Many albums that I acquire at shows collect dust before I focus on them as they are often green and haven't perfected their style. When I saw Adelitas Way, I assumed this was a second, maybe third album. To my surprise, I found it  is their debut album, but it has the polish of a more seasoned band. Its very definitely radio material. Adelitas Way is the kind of music that makes the listener feel like taking hold of their life. Peppered with sex, angst and boldness, Adelitas Way's self-titled debut album is a fun, radio safe listen.

Front man Richard DeJesus' voice is gravely and articulate. It carries a smile even when he's outraged. The lyrics are bold, but conservative, much like the music itself. I do think that, as a young band, they need to refine their use of the voice fade, among a few other details. Adelitas way isn't quite headline material yet, but they are certainly on the way there.

I would encourage Adelitas Way to push the envelope harder and hone their style. Right now they are a good, radio safe, band, but I think some of their songs would benefit from a little less sterility. Though, I do appreciate the double entendre in "Scream."

Overall: 3/5

There were no songs that I particularly disliked on the album so just the highlights:


Dirty Little Thing:  I am  a sucker for unrepentant songs. While this one isn't quite as shameless as others I've heard, its a sexy, entertaining number that ceretianly brought a smile to my lips. Shameless, but safe.


Last Stand: This is the "movie soundtrack" number. Very cinematic, down to the title, with some excellent guitar work and solid lyrics.


So What if You Go: This song comes closer to pushing the borders. It has a genunine anger that doesn't show up elsewhere on the album. Catchy.

Brother: A stylistic departure; this song has a country feel to  it and an honesty we don't see much  on this album. I would defiantly encourage more of this honesty.

A good band that  has potential if they learn to push themselves a little further.

No comments:

Post a Comment