August 7, 2011

This City is my City (Lollapalooza day 2)

Venue: Same as yesterday, though this particular stage (The BMI stage) had the worst sound system I’ve encountered in a long time. And there was no adjustment made to compensate for the overactive bass.

Acts:

I briefly walked in on Death From Above 1979, while they were very good; I only saw pieces of their set as I was coordinating with people. I also spent an ungodly amount of time running to and from the FYE booth. Someone would make a large profit if they offered some kind of ride back and forth across the park. My spine is still throbbing. I’m still reveling in how gorgeous Lola is.


Patrick Stump: (3/6) I have to say found Stump because of Fall Out Boy. I do love his vocal range and his odd nasally voice. I will also admit that part of the reason I paid attention to Patrick was that everyone else was busy paying attention to Peat Wentz. Stump is far and away the more talented of the two. However, he is going to be haunted for the rest of his life as being “that other guy from fall out boy” so I’m going to shut up about peat and go right to Patrick.

Patrick Stump has a great vocal range, and a distinct voice, however, he falls into the same trap many artist fall into when they go solo. He tries to hard to be “not Fall Out Boy” and I find that that means he doesn’t actually have his own sound. What he plays is an amalgamation of hip hop, pop and funk and has an uncoordinated tone live. Recorder it is much better but still lacks focus. It is almost as though Stump has started over from ground zero musically but with his fame intact.

I’m willing to stick by him musically, as his lyrics are sharp and there is talent there as well as a lot of potential, however, he needs to get past his “I’m NOT FALL OUT BOY” phase and get focused. The R&B sound is interesting for him but it still feels like he’s trying to hard.

The emotion in his voice is undeniable, however. He has a lot of passion. Good luck to him.

The Pretty Reckless (4/6): I'd heard this band recorded and only truly knew one song of theirs. The impression I had from the album was good, but I had low expectations of their live show. While I did miss about half of it getting Patrick Stump's autograph, I am glad I made it back in time to hear some of their set. They were much better live than on the album. Very coordinated, a good balance of crowd interaction and performing. Taylor Momsen's vocal's were solid and matched up with the sound she produced on album. However, she didn't very at all. I would like to see her step out of her comfort box and experiment with what she's capable of vocally. I thought the band was solid and I adore Ben Phillips’ throaty scream voice as well and his guitar work is solid.

Where they really lost points, and some of my respect was their attitude. While I don't know the story behind it, apparently, they are notorious for being late. I wasn't at the beginning of their set, but according to one of the other people in line with me for the singing, they were late. They were also an hour late at least to the signing, I don't know if it got longer of if they ever showed up I had to cut out after standing in line for an hour. While a little slack can be cut when it's your show. In a venue wherein you have 45-minute sets, and 30 minutes for singings, that kind of lateness is unacceptable. I know it was they, too, not the FYE people as a) they'd been timely at the last singing and b) they said as much. If they ever want to be the headliner, they need to step it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment