October 13, 2011

Album Review: The Browncoat Mixtape (Adam WarRock & Milka kHill)

Have a soft spot for nerdcore, and a soft spot for Joss Wedon’s Firefly. When I got wind of an album that combined the two I was quite piqued.

Considering how very amateur the creators of these albums are I was relatively impressed. Adam WarRock brings a slower variation of nerdcore combined with samples form Firefly’s unique soundtrack. (Firefly’s sound combines an Asian fusion influence with an old west sound) While I tend to prefer harder, faster nerdcore I can appreciate a good fan tribute and I can appreciate the technical talent that WarRock has. I also enjoy the use of samples from the firefly soundtrack.

That being said, something about it didn’t really grab. It is almost too articulate in places and too polished. I would suggest that WarRock sharpen the edges and really reach for that passionate primal element that peeks through in “Independents.” As a Nerd I understand the amount of passion that goes into loving a show, and no show has a fanbase like Firefly. I find WarRock tends toward being a little more laid back, while I don’t mind that, I find it does not do firefly justice.

I look forward to listening to more of his music. I love nerdy music.

No comments:

Post a Comment