July 1, 2013

Summerfest day 5: Silversun Pickups, Middle Class Rut, DoryDrive

Summerfest day 5: Silversun Pickups, Middle Class Rut, DoryDrive

Stage: Briggs & Stratton Big Backyard (4/6)

I’d never been to this stage before despite coming to Summerfest every year for about the past decade as in years past it was the country music stage and country isn’t usually my scene. This year they featured al.t rock. I prefer the Briggs stage to the Miller stage as the sound system is better and the crowds, at least for this show, weren’t as bad.

I  did  something I love to do at Summerfest for this set, but hadn’t done this trip yet. camped out at a stage and just listened to the acts prior to the band I was there for.  This is how I discover new bands

Speaking of bands, on to the shows

Shows:

DoryDrive(4/6) As they were in the 6pm slot I did no expect DoryDrive  to be as good as they were.  They came out with an energetic, alt. rock sound, and a surprisingly polished style. They had energy enough to get even a lazy mid-evening festival crowd moving. If I hadn’t known better, I would have sworn these guys were a bigger band. Very well done.

I’m going over to amazon to get their album right now, and I’d recommend you do the same.

Vocalist Mathieu Nevitt  has a wonderful gravelly voice  and demonstrates good control over its tone.. He also has energy in spades and a willingness to push the audience into participating. I am definitely going to be keeping an eye out for these guys. Lots of fun.

Middle Class Rut (2/6) Between the tragic attempts at scream vocals and the interminable fret squeaks and the drummer who couldn’t keep time with a metronome, this band was terrible. They had a surprisingly strong following, which confused me quite frankly. Middle Class Rut did have energy, I’ll give them that, but their lack of coordination and style was not only out of place on that particular stage, but generally did not work.

They felt like they wanted to be punk and fell very flat.

Silversun Pickups (5/6) Silversun Pickups is always fantastic and is one of the few bands I’ve seen that can deliver a consistent, but still innovative show. This show was particularly emotional as it was bassist Sarah Negahdari s last night with the band. Just prior to last Summerfest, Negahdari was called in with approval from David Grohl, Silversun Pickups’ original bassist, Nikki Monninger, gave birth to twins. Sara was discovered in Milwaukee and has been adored by the fans. Her style and amazing talent and will be missed. However, as a fan, I do warmly welcome Nikki Monninger back.
I really felt like the guys treated her like she was one of the family.

Vocalist Brian Aubert delivers unique vocals and a manically quirky style that make him insane to watch. He is constantly energetic and has a delicious grin that is simply contagious. His guitar work is unrivaled and distinctive, bringing an unmistakable edge to the band. Add the wicked bass lines from Monninger and you have a nicely rounded, sharp edged sound that really pumps things up even during their mellower songs.  

The show itself was beautifully paced mixing their moody, slower songs with the controlled cacophony of their harder, louder songs.

Overall, a brilliant show.

No comments:

Post a Comment