March 4, 2010

Album Review 3DR: In the Bedroom-EP

3DR: In the Bedroom EP(2009)(1/5)

I Picked these guys up because I'd been a big fan of Red Line District, the band these guys used to be in. What a disappointment.
3DR(short for Third Day Rising) should NOT be confused with the band Third Day Rising the Christian screamo band, they are very different.
I wanted to like this album—the band’s previous incarnation Red Line District* was edgy and good old fashioned teen rock with songs like “Stuck” that had a lot of promise. Apparently, the band members that left took the majority of the bite and talent with them. Here we have a discordant EP that tries very hard to be a real album but falls flat. The vocals are decent, but very hard to hear over the cacophonous background While it is growing on me, as I do have a fondness for strange music, This EP is not up to any of my standards.

The lyrics are whiney, which can be alright if pared with strong vocals and clean instrumentation. However, the guitar work is just as whiney.

I do hope these guys get better, though judging by their work on Myspace, they haven’t. I really support local talent, but I think these guys sadly only fit one of those terms.
No highlights, due to length and quality of the album. If I had to pick one song that may have been a little better than the others, it would be “In Recovery” but even that, frankly, isn't that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment