April 12, 2010

Sonata Arcitca with Mutiny Within and Powerglove

Now, that was a metal show. None of this Nü Metal either (not that I don't love some of that stuff, its just, frankly, not metal)

But I'm getting ahead of myself.


The venue: (4/5) (see also previous reviews of the House of Blues in Chicago). The House of Blues has fallen from grace in a little my eyes though it is still an amazing venue. However, the rules are a little tighter than other venues. I stand by everything I said before; it’s just a mater of personal preference.
As a side note, apparently you can find Tony Kakko’s signature on one of the bathroom wall from 2006. He noticed it this past show.

The crowd: (3/5) Not as wild as some crowds I've seen, but still very much a rocking metal crowd. I was a little surprised that I didn't see much of a mosh pit (though that’s partially the venue's rules). However, there is an interesting phenomenon in the metal scene that was prevalent at this show. Some people stand and occasionally throw up the horns or head bang but otherwise are unmoving. However, if you see their faces, they are intently focused on the music. I pity the person who gets between them and their metal.

I was running late, so I missed the first opener, Power Glove Upon giving them a listen, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I feel about them. Nerdcore goes metal with a huge 80’s vibe. It was just flat out weird, but the more I listen the more they grow on me. However, they had to do just that. They have a strong electronica influence, and strange sampling (one form a work out video, I kid you not). I'm still scratching my head at their lyrics (in one verse the woman the lead man is lusting after was compared favorably to both methamphetamine and a computer monitor). 2.5/5.


Moving right along...

Second opener: Mutiny Within (3/5): Even on a re-listen I wanted to head bang to these guys. As a metal fan, I can dig the occasional death grunt or scream-o moment, so Muntany Within's emphasis on those elements didn't bother me. Two things particularly stuck out for me. First: front man, Chirs Clancy has a fantastic range that includes the 80's style high falsetto notes and the deep rumbling growls. This is further impressive because he could do the grunts and screams without losing his ability to hold the key and could not only sing, but also articulate. His spoken voice was a little sloppy, but that wasn't a bother. The second impressive element was the guitar work. I'm a sucker for a good guitar solo and watching lead guitarist, Brandon Jacobs, shred that guitar was amazing.

It was also nice to hear a balance between melody and the death grunts. While the screaming/grunting is very much a part of what makes metal, well, metal, it can get tiresome very quickly. However, an effectively used death grunt in an otherwise melodic song can be quite powerful.

Very impressive for such a green band.

They do have a tendency toward unoriginality. I don't think i could pick them out of a set similar metal bands without focusing. Clancy's voice isn't particularly distinctive, though he's certainly talented. I also thought they weren't quite as coordinated live as they are on the album. Once they hone their sound I think they have the chance to be powerful.


Main Act: Sonata Arctica(4.5/5)

Wow. Despite being a fan of theirs for the better part of ten years, I'd only seen them as an opener with Nightwish. This was far and away more amazing. Front man, Tony Kakko comes across much like one of the wolves, which have become a theme with many of their albums. Shaggy, a touch goofy, but positively breathtaking in his performance. He has a distinctive voice. His heavy, Finnish accent and odd intonation make for something you wouldn't expect to be find in power metal. But when Tony puts that mike to his lips something explosive happens. Sonata Arctica's songs very from deeply melodic, sad songs, to thrashing guitar work, by way of obsessive chilling pieces. Tony's lyrics are often strangely worded and surprisingly precise. His recorded work is wonderful, but on stage is he is unworldly moving constantly face distorted with passion, he belts, growls and holds the watcher in an intense gaze.

Kakko, does not the entire band make, however. I never thought I’d be impressed by a key-tar solo. But I heard one like nothing i've ever heard before. If i hadn't known it was a key-tar, I would have thought it was a heavily pedaled guitar. Simply amazing. The guitar work itself was incredible. Lead guitarist, Elias Viljanen, also contributed a great deal of personality to the performance (at one point covering his eyes during a guitar solo). The entire band had a distinctive sense of balance and each piece was pivotal and had its own moments and quarks.

The show itself was an odd creature, filled alternately with skin tearing, mind blowing metal and strange little interludes. Because of how much they all put into the performance, there were times when each of them needed a brief rest, but the abundance was never neglected. At one point the keyboardist (and keytarest) needed a drink, so Tony took up the mike, chatted with the audience and started to yodel--I'm not kidding. He was good at it too.


The entire band was also exceedingly gracious. When it finally came time to say good night, The Enter band came up and took a bow together. Tony actually 'hugged" and blew kisses to the audience. (Bear in mind, this is the man I compared to a wolf earlier, not a feminine sort). I will go back to them in a heartbeat. Excellent show.

No comments:

Post a Comment