June 30, 2012

Summerfest day 3: Your Vilain My Hero and Miniature Tigers


Venue: The Miler Light Oasis (Summerfest grounds, Milwaukee, WI)
I have had multiple bad experiences with this stage and sound balance.  It also has the unfortunately problem of having two large sponsored beer pavilions right in the stage area. It makes for a drunk, obnoxious crowd. Add that to a stage with distorted sound and more people than it should hold and it’s a recipe for disaster. Not all the shows I’ve been here have been horrible, but it is not my favorite stage.

The show:

Your Villain My Hero (2/6) (partial review, only saw half the set) this was not my night for music.  On the one hand, this band had a lot of personality and energy. On the other, the cultural dissonance in some of the covers they performed was borderline offensive.  (Hint to new bands: if you’re covering a band a) do not insert your name into the song b) do not use their accent. Especially not if they are a different race from you. It sounds racist) On the other hand they get points for style and energy.  Their sense of rhythm and vocal tone were beyond bad. It felt like they were trying to hard to be sexy and falling completely flat.

Miniature Tigers: (2/6 live, 4/6 on cd) I had to check three times to make sure I’d found the right band because the sound difference was so big between their stage show and their album.  On stage they are reminiscent of a bad beach boys cover band-- waver vocals with weak guitar work and minimal talent overall.  The instrumentation was simply bad and the vocals too quiet for the mics to pick up. However, credit for effort and for their senses of humor. They were continually trying to interact with the audience and managed to get a lot of people actually moving and enraged. NO small feet for an Indi. band. They were funny, happy, and fully aware that they were not the show people came to see.

On cd, they are very reminiscent of fun. Indi pop with a pretentious but still entertaining fare. Posh.


(I saw part of fun. too but I’m not reviewing them, as I saw only fragments. )

No comments:

Post a Comment