June 19, 2012

Single of the week: Husky "History's Door"


I get lulls sometimes, when music is scarce in my neck of the woods, or when I just plain old tap out. To prevent this, I present to you "Song of the week" I will review single songs, usually new once a week in addition to my usual stuff.

This week's single:
Husky "History's Door"(3/6):
 “History’s door” was neither particularly stellar nor particularly horrible. One of the things that prevented it from being a really good song was the over use of auto-tune. This is especially obnoxious in Indi music where there is a lot of melody auto tune can be used well to create ambiance and make certain words stand out, however more often than not, it is used to mask a mediocre voice or sound 'cool," which I find distasteful. Have the artistic courage to put your actual voice out there or really lay on the distortion. Go big or go home. 

In that vein, it was like Husky was trying to make a polished studio produced album sound lo- fi. Either go minimal production, or don’t,-don’t fake it. I found that pretentious and off-putting.

That being said, the guitar work stands out in places as very clear and uses some interesting tuning adding a little twang. It is clear the guitarist is good. The lyrics are decent as well and I wonder what the vocalist sounds like without the auto-tune.  It seems as though there is talent buried under all of the distortion.

It grew on me a little as I listened to it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment