June 19, 2013

Album Review: Scream Shout -Threads-

(3/6)
I have a soft spot for the younger bands, so when I Scream Shout's Threads came across my desk, I was very interested. They defiantly sound like a greener band, but that is not a bad thing in my book.

Vocally, Threads  is one part passionate confidence, one part uneven and unfocused. The ardent tone compensates for the imprecision nicely.
However, it feels like the album is unsure wheatear it wants to be harder edged post-punk, or stick with a more melodic, alt-rock tone. Either would work, but the vocals come off muddied and dissonant at this point. That being said, one thing that really caught my ear is that the vocalist swears very well. I have no doubt he means every word he sings.

The lyrics are simple, bitter in places, and honest I can get behind a lot of what they’re saying and there is no questioning the sincerity, with goes a long way with audiences.

Musically, while simplistic, the instrumentation is solid and comfortable. I’m not sure if the distortion in the bass is intentional or not, however it works along side the sometimes ragged vocals. The lead guitar has a clean, alt rock sound in places while demonstrating a harder edge in places. The bass is also just a little off the beat, which threw me off.


Overall, Threads is very unsure of itself, despite the confidant vocals. The sound would be a lot stronger if it was more focused. However, this album would be great live as it has a lot of energy and passion.

For the curious, you can check out the album on preorder at www.scyllarecords.bigcartel.com the album comes out July 22nd.


No comments:

Post a Comment