June 29, 2013

Summefest Day 3: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers(Unrated):

I love seeing the really big time bands that have been around longer than I’ve been alive, its always a pleasure, especially when they still have enthusiasm.
I don’t judge these bands by the same standards. I doubt most people would be able to perform for half as many years as Petty has.  Hell, I haven’t been alive for his entire career.  The fact that he’s even on stage at this point is pretty amazing.

In a lot of ways, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were the opposite of fun.(As in the band, they were enjoyable)

However,  there is one thing that I felt was very present in Tom Petty’s performance that  I’ve seen more than once that really bothers me as a  fan. Not as a critic. They get…lazy for lack of other word. If you’ve been performing for 50+ years, you don’t have to try anymore. On the one hand, this can often produce jam sessions and  some really fantastic solos. After all, they’ve been at this for that long, they’ve got to be a t least good musically. On the other hand, they don’t have to impress anyone. There isn’t that fire that a lot of grener bands have. Even in slower genes with mellower songs you get there’s a palpable need to  push, to create to give your fans your everything. That often isn’t there in older bands.  It’s sad. I’m sure it iss in part because they re tired. However, I do wonder if there is a degree of arrogance there. After all, they are one of the biggest stars our there, they don’t have to impresss.

This tiredness was very obvious in Petty’s performance.


I did enjoy the show, It was nice to hear some of the stuff I I’d know the lyrics to for years. I’m glad I did it, but I doubt I’ll do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment