October 11, 2009

Album Review: Kill Hannah Wake Up the Sleepers.

Song order is often critical to an album’s presentation, even with the advent of shuffle buttons. The balance and the opening are especially critical.
Kill Hannah does a lovely job here kicking off their newest album Wake Up The Sleepers with a song that hit me as an artist like a fist.
Highlights:
Radio: every band needs a song like this. The song that says we did this despite what other people thought and we owe it to you, our fans. In the spirit of front man Mat Devine’s bold personality, this song is one part thank you letter to the city and medium that made Kill Hannah, one part flipping the bird to the people that said they’d never make it. This song brings a shiver to my spine as an artist. I only hope to ever be able to say what this song says about my own work.

New York City Speed: I wasn’t in a good environment the fist time I heard “New York City Speed,” but it still managed to catch me. Utterly fearless and defiant, it speaks of living fast in the moment. Like “Welcome to Chicago,” (released originally on a one-track single: Welcome to Chicago, Motherfucker!) “New York City Speed” screams the name of its namesake city.

Living in Misery: Slow songs are not something Kill Hannah is known for, but this little beauty illustrates Devine’s wistful, touching lyrics beautifully. This song is for the misfits the way “Unwanted” (From For Never and Ever). With a lovely, almost gospel-like harmony at the end that made the hair on my arms stand up.


Why I have My Grandma’s Sad Eyes: Mat Devine’s lyrics once again speak of coming back from pain. Even his despairing songs whisper hope. This song quotes another song which I haven’t been able to track down with the words “Universe wrap your arms around me, make me strong so I can take on anyone.” This little line I think encompasses the song. One part admitting vulnerability one part seeking hope this little gem inspires

Escape artistry: This is a spirited song that I think anyone who’s ever been trapped in one place for too long can identify with this dancy, brazen song.

Promise Me: This one actually made me stop what I was doing the first time I heard it. It was so different from most of what Kill Hannah does. Stripped of the electronic rhythms and complex tones of their usual songs. This song has one very simple background note. The lyrics are a caress, a whispered entreaty not to be forgotten. Its a simple, beautiful song.

Overall review:
I was left wordless by the last new track on this album, so it took me a moment to get to writing this  review.  In this album, Kill Hanna keeps pushing and honing the style that is unquestionably their own. For those of you that haven’t heard Kill Hannah they are one part alt rock, two parts electronica. Mat Devine has an effeminate voice that I thought belonged to a woman when I first heard it. Its lovely in conjunction with lyrics that Mat himself has said come from the heart and a beat you can dance to. This album experiments a little more with both the vocals and the over all sound. It also has a nice balance of slow and fast songs.
(4.5/5. This album is nearly perfect)

No comments:

Post a Comment