October 6, 2009

Concert review: You Me At Six, Secret Handshake, Mayday Parade, and The Academy is..(8/28)

Note: Sorry for being absent, my personal life exploded.

I almost didn't make it to this show, I ran late and nearly forgot what day it was on. I went alone, a personal first for me and it confirmed everything I thought about myself.

The Venue- (House of Blues, Chicago)(5/5): I've been itching to review this place since I started this blog. It’s my second home and the first venue I ever went to in Chicago. The House of Blues is connected to its own restaurant, which has decent enough food and they keep the policy that if you eat there, you get to skip the line with a receipt. On the outside it looks nice enough. But when you walk through the doors, you're met with ornate carvings, wooden walls, and hand painted signs. Its three levels, not counting the balcony. The first being the main bar area’ the second being wooden stools and small tables, the last being, of course, the dance floor itself. Hardwood floors and décor with colorfully painted walls with hosts of odd little statues, the balcony and the frame of the stage are beautifully decorated and across the top of he stage are various religious symbols and a phrase that temporarily escapes me regarding unity through music. There is always something new to look at, for example the ceiling by the sound booth is decorated with hand painted bottle caps and repurposed ashtrays.

Four bars (three main ones and one little kiosk) line the dance floor with sections for people who are under age and want food or water and people who have wristbands to prove they are old enough to drink. The bar staff has always been extremely friendly and are very good at making out what you’re shouting to them over the music. THe security, while tight at all ages shows, is very polite.

There is an equally beautiful little back hallway for merchandise and two gorgeous bathrooms. The Ladies at least has an attendant, mock marble counters, and wood slatted doors. I could even get a hairbrush and deodorant if i needed them.
Not have time to skip the line and get a sit down meal? No problem! They have a variety of bar foods (pizza, sliders, fires and so on) that are as good as the restaurant itself.

Which brings us to the show itself:

First Frontliner (Youmeatsix)(3.5/5): I confess because of how late I was running I didn't really settle in till about half way through their set so some of it was a little more preoccupied with texting and eating, which made me all the more impressed that it was as enjoyable as it was. An obviously UK based, punk-pop band with a distinctly punkier flavor than much punk-pop. In true punk spirit they were a bit inarticulate, though they didn’t scream as often as pure punk. Their energy was surprisingly good for a first in four show. They even got a mosh pit going and got the crowd to join in singing a few of the numbers. Not a band who's album I bought that day but a good opener, lots of fun energy and a cute front man, which didn't hurt things.

Second Frontliner (Secret Handshake) (1.5/5)-- I think I'm being generous with that. 5 because I'm nice to fontliners. They sounded atrocious. I was hoping they were better recorded, but I checked and they're not. If I were to give one piece of advice to them: Turn of the vocoder, it sounds broken. The front man certainly gave a good effort but I spent most of the show wondering if the mike was supposed to sound like that, and trying not to restlessly tap my feet waiting for The Academy is... I try hard not to pity clap often, but I did for them.


The First Main Act/ Last Frontliner (Mayday Parade) (4/5) Hello, pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard anything of theirs when I first came to the show (I came for The Academy is...) With what I saw of the openers and the crowd, I wasn't expecting much out of Mayday Parade, only hoping they'd live up to You Me at Six and not be atrocious like Secret Handshake. I was delighted by the energy Mayday Parade brought and the talent they had. While not mind blowing, they did quite well. I got a few of their albums and I'm starting to enjoy them quite a bit. They brought a strong energy, a verity of songs both slow and fast, mostly in the "teenage" vein-- love/ breakup songs and a couple of songs about clandestine romance. I have to say they might have gotten a little extra love from me for the song "Miserable at Best" I'm recovering from a break up and this song struck me as rather sweet. Mayday Parade brings above average lyrics, and a fun sound, with a little of that bitter twist that a lot of us can identify with.

The Second Headliner(The Academy is...)(4.7/5): I have a hard time giving out fives unless they' really earned it. I've seen The Academy is... now for I believe the third or fourth time and they put on a great show every time. Its a very different animal from other shows i've reviewed in that it’s essentially fun. I've come to expect front man and lyricist William Beckett’s spirited dancing and defiant lyrics as par for the course with his shows.

Beckett seems to truly enjoy himself without a lot of the gravity that many artist bring to the stage. At the same time it is obvious that he puts a great deal of passion, energy and time into his work. He's out there to enjoy himself and give his fans a truly good time. I have to say having met Beckett, you could not ask for a more friendly, gracious person. He's quiet startled by all the adoration fame's brought him but he still takes the time he can to talk to his fans. Despite his bolder stage persona he's soft spoken and shy. This genuineness comes out on stage tenfold, there is no doubt that Beckett sings from experience and while there are hints that he’s finally growing used to fame, Beckett still has a great deal of heart.

Beckett's lyrics have become a little less bold as The Academy Is…has grown in fame, however there is no doubt he still believes every word of "Black Mamba"(from their debut album Almost Here)in which Beckett declares “Oh, Mr. Magazine/I never wrote one single thing for you/Or your so-called music scene/Don’t mean a thing to me.” He remains loyal to his defiant roots. While, Fast times at Barrington High is certainly in a less toothy vein, catering a bit to the teenage audience, Beckett keeps his lyrics cheeky and elegant with the occasional slower song for variety.

Musically the entire band has talent, however, Beckett shines just a shade brighter than the others. The band plays off each other quite nicely, however and certainly should not be discounted as a lesser part of the group. The balance is quite strong over all.


Vocally, Becket is a surprise in a genre that often gets away with sub-par vocals. He has a very soft voice despite being loud enough to be heard across the room. He sounds young and I feel that much what makes him who he is musically is in that voice. Distinctive, enough to be recognized completely out of context, his voice speaks (or should I say sings?) of a young man searching for himself under the limelight while still being very much young at heart. You can hear the smile in his voice in many of his songs and seeing that smile in person confirms how much this young man has to offer. I have a feeling we have not yet seen what he's truly capable of.

Overall, I am exceedingly glad to have gone to this show. Well done all around, in a favorite venue of mine a favorite band, as well as a few new discoveries.

Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment