October 6, 2009

The Tenderbox, Kill Hannah and She Wants Revenge at The Vic Theater (10/1/09)

The Venue (see previous review of The Vic)I was smart this time and did not use the bathroom.

The Crowd: (2/5). Ugh. A too small crowd that kept staring at the stage wondering when their song/ band would come on. A little better for the opener but frankly, bored.

The First Opener ( The Tenderbox )(2.5/5)-- This little band tried very hard, and put fourth a lot of effort to get the crowd (which was having none of it) moving. They put forth a good effort. However, they were only all right in terms of talent and had no stage presence to speak of. I think they'll probably get better, but at this point in time they fell flat. I can't really comment on their lyrical content, as I cannot find their lyrics online and don’t feel they’re worth purchasing the album at this time.

The Second Opener (Kill Hannah)(4/5) Despite Kill Hannah being the band I came for I had relatively low hopes going in as electronically driven music often doesn’t translate well to stage. From the moment front man Mat Devine ran out onto the stage he gave 110%. Devine was full of energetic dancing, all but leaping into the crowd. I think he even got some of the stubborn She Wants Revenge fans moving. I could tell that this show meant absolutely the world to these guys (that its their home city and nearly coincides with their album release was really something). These are Chicago boys, and it shows.


I gravitate toward strong lyrics and Kill Hannah is no exception. They have some very intense songs, and you can feel the passion in them. The lyrics have the same intensity their performance does. Whether it be the almost flirtatious daredevil song "Lips like Morphine,” or the pained but still energetic "Unwanted," Kill Hannah brings a very strong, heartfelt lyrics and a fast no-fear energy that stays strong even after they’ve left the stage.


One of the first things that struck me about Mathew Devine was his effeminate voice, which could have sounded shy with tamer lyrics. The voice fits the man-- a slight, archetypal pretty boy. Devine’s quavering tone is complemented nicely by fierce lyrics and powerful energy. This surreal dynamic creates something truly unique


The Main Act (She Wants Revenge) (3/5): Admittedly, it’s hard to impress me when I only know one or two of your songs and I’m already tired from dancing my legs off to the opener, but I like to give it my all even for artists I’m not that familiar with. I have some of She Wants Revenge’s albums so I was familiar with their sound and a couple of their songs.

I danced merrily but I caught myself yawning, which is unusual for me, as I tend to get a buzz off the energy at a good show. So, I thought about it a little as I danced, and sure enough I yawned again. I focused my attention trying to discern what was causing this.

And then it hit me.

Despite the energy of the crowd, which had picked up substantially by that point and Front man very articulate singing style and smooth voice. Front man, Justin Warfield had very dull energy and he absorbed the energy the crowd generated but gave nothing back. It took me just another moment to determine that he was also quite arrogant.

His attitude was effectively demonstrated when a fan tossed an obviously hand painted graffiti style hat onto the stage. Warfield picked it up. Now I’ve seen artist show what I call the "gift face" when they receive something they're not sure what to make of, but they tend to be gracious and flattered. Not so here. Warfield looked at it, made fun of it briefly, and tossed it back into the crowd.

One of the things I have very little patience for is people being ungrateful toward those who put them where they are. These are your fans.

Even Warfield’s dancing and the way he moved on stage was always at a distance from the audience. Part of that I know is the "indier than thou," posh style he was presenting. However, that’s no excuse to be rude. Even the poshest people in existence know how to be grateful.

On the other side of the coin, Justin Warfield’s lyrics are a lot of fun and very articulate, if dominated by one subject: seduction. His songs are full of flirty, almost too deliberate lyrics, which are regrettably not sung from the heart. He doesn’t even manage to be cheeky in his dispassion.

There is centrally talent in the music, especially the vocals and the keyboard. Keyboardist Adam Bravin had the most passion of the entire group and it showed in his wonderful performance. I would that the front man had that kind of passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment