May 22, 2010

Album Reivew: The Delivery Boys: Starry Skies and Fireflies (sic)


The Delivery Boys: Starry Skies and Fireflies (3/5):

The Delivery Boys are an exceptionally young band from Schaumburg IL. I purchased their album from one of the band members for two dollars selling it out of a duffel bag behind the main stage at Bamboozle last week, so my expectations were low.

I was quite surprised that this was a first album when I sat down to listen to them. Had I not seen the CD (a burn, very clearly home made) I would have guessed they were the latest new band on the radio. They are quite talented and quite professional.

Listening to the album you can tell they grew up in the Chicago music scene with influences such as, The Academy is... audible in their music. They have a pleasantly bouncy sound with many of the quintessential elements of indi/alternative music-- breakup, romance, and budding optimism. Its music you can dance to. These guys were a ton of fun to listen to, if a little on the generic side.

Front man Paul Holloway has a pleasant voice and drummer, Matt Dailly, has the clearest sound of the entire band. Where these boys need a little work is balancing the precision of the guitar work.

They have an impressively seasoned sound for such a green band with some interesting little things that make them stand out, especially amongst smaller bands. This is a first album, completely self produced, but it sounds like a second or third professionally produced album.

The Delivery boys are an excellent find. I have seen headliners that don’t meet with the same standards these guys are starting with

I’ve received word that there is a new album in the works, I very much look forward to it and to seeing what they are like live.

I would listen to this album to: Dance around the apartment, drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment