July 18, 2011

News Update/ Small Rant

Not what I normally post here, But this heavily impacts my industry. And I’m pissed about it.

I’d like to have a moment of silence for Q101 being taken off the air at 1:07am CDT last Friday. RIP Q101, thanks for all of your support and the countless festivals and rock shows. I will be very interested to see what happens in the Chicago music scene without you. Good luck to the lovely gentleman who turned it into a news station. Cause Chicago needed more news stations.

I’m sorry, dear readers, but Q101 was a part of the chicago music soul. It may not have been the biggest music station out there, but it was home. They will be missed and I can’t help but be a little bitter.

Good news is the “internet radio” will still be there-- no DJs though.

I usually don’t get political on this blog, but please don’t support the man who is trying to destroy the chicago music scene. I know he hasn’t out and said it but thats basically what it seems to be trying to do. Taking two of chicago’s major rock stations out, one of which was a key element in the festival and concert arena right as the music industry is finally turning around its slump is nothing short of a slap in the face.

People lost jobs from this. One of the guys had been working at this station for 13 years. and thats gone now.

Boycott 101.1, 97.1. Let them know exactly what we think of this change. It won’t bring back our DJs or put our station back the way it was, but maybe, just maybe it will have an impact. And maybe, just maybe, people will think twice before tangling with chicago radio.

I’m usually a supporter of the radio, call me old fassioned here, but I like the excitement of unexpectedly hearing something good, or better still something good and new. The fun of looking up this new band and figuring out if they are, in fact, good. The local, sometimes really interesting, music.

I sincerely hope that radio doesn’t go the way of the music video. I seriously miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment