July 3, 2011

Summefest 7/2/11 Show and album review of Maroon 5

Venue: Given that during Summefest I’m at the same venue (granted not usually the same stage) I don’t usually comment on the venue more than once. However, I have to make a comment here
Summerfest made a pretty expensive mistake: They underestimated a band. Granted, so did most of the fans. I didn’t even think they were as popular as they are or I would have arrived earlier myself. The stage could have comfortably held about three quarters what it held.

Due to the above mentioned issue I was not able to properly review Maroon 5 short of saying that I’ve seen Maroon 5 before and I really enjoyed it and from what I could make out on the screens it seemed like the same caliber show. I would say probably a 5/6 show. Adam Levine is articulate and has a surprisingly good voice and is in constant motion on stage. He’s also very much a ham on stage, playing to the audience. It is always a pleasure to see him on stage. I just wish I’d been able to go to the Chicago show.

Album Review (4/6): Maroon 5 Hands All Over--
I really enjoyed Maroon 5’s second album It Won’t Be Soon Before Long it had sharp teeth and many very strong lyrics that worked well with the instrumentation. It was edgy though it was missing many of the ballads that were on the first album. Hands All Over found a happy medium between the ballads and the flirty, bouncy songs. I also felt the album was more innovative than their other albums have been with stylistic forays into country, something more akin to jazz and back to their own style of pop-rock. Singer Adam Levine’s voice has grown sultrier over the years and he’s learned to control it more effectively.


The issue I found with the album is that it didn’t keep my attention all of the time. I found my attention wandering during some of the more saccharine ballads. They didn’t have the draw of Maroon 5’s older, more heartfelt ballads. Those songs feel a little out of character for such a cheeky band.
The band as a whole has matured and really learned to handle their instruments well. I think between the bands more cohesive sound and their maturation together Maroon 5 has become quite a strong band with a constantly innovating style that makes them well worth the attention their getting.

I’m very much looking forward to seeing them again and I truly enjoyed most of this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment