April 16, 2012

Album Review: Faded Pearl -Faded Pearl-

Faded Pearl 4/6
Maybe I should give new artists a little more credit as this is the second really solid new artist I’ve discovered that is legitimately good and has a professional sound.
I found Faded Pearl at C2E2 hidden in the tiny section reserved for novelists and merch no one is sure what to do with. I would have overlooked them, but the novel one of their members put out caught my attention. They have a really solid post-grunge sound; deep vocals combined with a good baseline and really nice guitar work.
Despite it being a little ten track album that is so new it’s not even in the CDDB, Faded Pearl displays a nice range of tone, while still holding to the underlying current of rugged gravel and passionate drive.
I particularly found the vocals appealing. I will admit that the gravely rugged vocals of post grunge are a weakness of mine and Michael Schmidt does that kind of singing well, yet still mangoes the occasional smooth tenor note. Mark Manning fills out the low end nicely with an earthy pick-bass sound which is well complemented by the rough and tumble guitar work Francesco Bevilacqua offers.

Overall I was very pleasantly surprised by this band, if they ever play in Chicago,I’ll be the first in line.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking us out! We're in the process of recording more music. Here's a link to a video of one our new tracks, "How Can You Wait?".

    http://tinyurl.com/cgf6bjb

    - Mike, Faded Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arin Wolfe obviously has exceptional taste. Bravo, Faded Pearl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please feel free to use open ID and say hi so that I can see who's being so complementary:)

      Delete