April 11, 2012

Album review: Halestorm -A Strange Case of...-


I had high hopes for A Strange Case of...after hearing the single "Here's to Us."  While I've enjoyed everything I've heard from Halestorm and have gushed in excess about Lzzy Hale's powerful voice, I find that Halestorm can be limited in their subject matter and tone, what got me interested in A Strange Case of... was that "Here's to Us" had a softer feel without losing Halestorm's signature powerhouse feeling. I was disappointed to find that the vast majority of the album was the same vitriolic, in your face, stuff we heard on the debut album. While, the band itself is very talented and Lzzy hale has a fearless attitude and powerful voice, Halestorm is regrettably  limited in their range of subjects and tone.
As a stand alone piece the album is wonderful. Fierce attitude with strong vocals and solid guitar work. The drummer is also very good and fills out the few holes in their sound. The album's few slower numbers are sexy and the more up beat songs are positively vicious. I love it on it's own
However, when held up against the rest of Halestorm's discography  it becomes redundant, if   a fun breakup album. There is a little more of a reconciliatory tone in "Here’s To Us" but beyond that its the same stuff we've heard before.
4/6

No comments:

Post a Comment