April 17, 2012

William Beckett -Walk the Talk EP--

Walk the Talk is exactly what I wanted when I heard “Compromising Me,” It has all of the cheek and defiance that fans have come to expect from William Beckett without being the same thing we’ve heard before. I’ve always been impressed with Beckett’s articulate, yet still simple and honest vocal style and the lyrics that invariably match. There has always been a vulnerability to him that draws the listener in without being so raw it hurts. In the decade(?) he’s been in the industry (the majority of with he’s spent as a Chicago celebrity) he has yet to lose his shyness. I vividly remember seeing him doe eyed and utterly startled ad the number of fans present when he was signing after one of his solo shows a few years ago. He may have grown more confident, but he never got jaded like so many other artists.

I could go on forever, but this is about the EP not the man behind it.

All of the personable openness I went on about above doesn’t make for a somber album; on the contrary the album is light hearted, defiant and occasionally earnest. If this EP is indicative of where his new sound is going I will be very pleased. Wonderful voice combined with the ability to use it well without being pretentious, William Beckett is a cut above the rest.
(5/6)

No comments:

Post a Comment